Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_S

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Benchmarking temporary Lisp objects [Was: Re: [RFC] temporary Lisp_Strings]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 13:28:43 +0400

On 09/05/2014 08:24 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Your benchmark for `cons' showed that there's some potential benefit,
but then we have to figure out which Fcons calls can be replaced by
alloca ones, and then assess whether the result is worth the effort
(and the risk, since such alloca-allocated thingies need to be handled
with care, making sure they can't escape to Elisp, and also using the
stack more intensively increases the risk of crashing into the
stack depth limit).

Surely this is a bit risky and requires careful looking how this object is
used.  On the other side, it's not too hard to debug; use of local object
outside of its scope causes the very likely eassert/crash at next GC, and
the fault address is very different from what we see with heap objects.

Dmitry