Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 07:38:21 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > Its date and committer is pretty unambiguous.
>
> But less than useful when you need to look up that commit by that
> spec.  AFAIK, we don't have VC commands that can look up a commit
> given such a spec, so it requires tedious manual work.

Yeah, that's on my to-do list.  Along with a minor mode to chase bzr IDs
found in mailing-list archives.

I could be working on this stuff more if the conversion itself weren't
such a huge time sink.

> These revision-ids are in fixed format, so there should be no need for
> heuristics in finding the corresponding commit, nor do I see a need
> for a list of conversions when the revision is referenced by such an
> ID.  This is why I added them in the first place in this case: to make
> your job easier, not harder.

Not successful.  I requested portable revision stamps for good reasons.

> Why do you run this conversion regularly at all?  Why not do it once
> on the D-Day?

Because (a) if I let the new IDs pile up it that high it will be just
too daunting a task to face, and (b) I'm still trying to make
conversions available on gitorious so people can inspect them, get
used to what the full conversion looks like, and critique it.

> > git log -1 --pretty='%ci!%ce' $1
> >
> > The output from that needs trivial editing in the date part.
>
> This produces the local time, while we need UTC (a.k.a. "Zulu").  Is
> there a way to have a UTC time?

Somebody else posted one.  I'll put that in my toolkit and use it as
the basis for the VC-mode changes.