Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Everyone, please stop making my life more difficult
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:43:48 +0200

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>:
>> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > And actually changes the timestamps, which I would not have expected -
>> > as someone else observed, I would have expected that to move the commits
>> > wuthout changing the metadata.
>>
>> This is impossible, since the parents are part of the metadata.
>
> I didn't expect ito leave hashes unaltered, just the visible headers.

A plain

    git log

will not list the committer and commit date.  So a rebase _does_ leave
the visible headers unaltered.  Pretty much the whole point for
distinguishing author and committer and the respective dates is to
distinguish the origin of a change and the person responsible for its
state in the repository.

--
David Kastrup