Re: Further CC-mode changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Further CC-mode changes
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:00:50 -0400

> And that question is: how long should new code intended for Emacs
> refrain from relying on new interfaces and new features which have been
> created for a reason?

Actually, that's not really the question either.
I think the questions Alan is facing are more along the lines of:

- should I just keep using my old code which is compatible by a mix of
  "do it all by hand" plus "coerce the few packages on which I need to rely".
- or should I start using the new interface, which integrates better
  with the rest of the system, but comes with some downsides:
  - the new system doesn't work quite like my old one, and I prefer my
    system (after all, *I* designed it, so it does exactly what I want).
  - since it doesn't work quite like my old one, I might introduce bugs.
  - the new one is not supported everywhere, so I have to add new
    compatibility code.

In the short run, the first option (the one usually favored by Alan,
AFAICT) is clearly better.

        Stefan