Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:03:02 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That's not all that much manpower.  If you take a look at the commits in
>> the master branch that are not merges from the stable branch, I think
>> that more than 90% are from Andy Wingo.
>
> That's an interesting way to pretend that Ludovic and I don't exist, by
> excluding merges.

Work on the stable branch is supposedly maintenance rather than
forward-looking development.

It's actually a good sign for a project's stability if more people work
on maintenance than on new things.  But I was commenting on the amount
of manpower getting work done on new things.

> Why should our contributions be excluded just because they start out
> on the stable-2.0 branch and later flow to master by way of merges?

Would you claim that the stable-2.0 branch is where new developments are
generally done?  That would seem like a somewhat unusual development
model.

--
David Kastrup