Re: Regular expression creation [was: Re: Emacs Lisp's future]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Regular expression creation [was: Re: Emacs Lisp's future]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:12:07 -0400

> debates around raw strings, i still feel something like Stefan's
> suggestion for a built-in `re-escape` function would probably solve most
> of the issues i have with ELisp REs.

And note that re-escape should be easy to write.  I guess the main issue
would be to decide what escape character to use (assuming "(" is used for
regexp-grouping, what should be used to match a plain open-parenthesis?
"\(" is not an option since it's the same string as "(", so you either
have to go with "\\(" which (as we know) sucks, or choose another escape
char than backslash).

        Stefan