RE: Patch to allow texi2any for EMACS manual compilation

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: Patch to allow texi2any for EMACS manual compilation
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 06:33:34 +0200

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:05:54 -0700
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Patch to allow texi2any for EMACS manual compilation
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
>
> Glenn Morris wrote:
>> Please take a step back and tell us clearly what problem you think you
>> are trying to solve.

Sorry, I have been creating some confusion, because when trying to solve my
initial problem (that is configure not accepting that texi2any is used for
compiling the documentation) I have come across another one, i.e., that the
[...] encapsulation of interval wildcard (e.g. `[7-9]') does not work for me,
and I am not even sure that it should work at all because I did not find its
documentation in bash manual --- but I suspect that I am just missing the
point. Maybe I should open a separate thread for that one ?

> I think he's saying the behavior of Texinfo 5's 'makeinfo --help'
> depends on the name used to invoke makeinfo (which is not following the
> GNU Coding Standards, by the way -- Karl, should I file a Texinfo bug
> report or will this email suffice?), and this means Emacs's 'configure'
> script shouldn't care what that part of the output looks like. I
> installed a patch along those lines as Emacs trunk bzr 117943.

I think this is not a bug in Texinfo. texi2any and makeinfo are two different
programs, but texi2any can do whatever makeinfo can, and much more. texi2any is
thought as a replacement of makeinfo, that is why the version number has some
continuity.
   Vincent.