Re: Conventions for writing comments

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Conventions for writing comments
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:09:07 -0400

> I have a small question about conventions for writing comments... Can
> I consider the following to be the rule?

The main documentation we follow for coding style is the GNU Coding
Standard (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Comments.html)
which says, among other things:

   Also, please write complete sentences and capitalize the first word.

> - Otherwise (like ";; pattern found"), comments must begin with a small
>   letter and don't end with a dot.

I prefer to capitalize and punctuate this as well (BTW: this is also
a sentence).  Note that a lot of code in Emacs does not follow the
convention, because we're not strict enough about enforcing it.

        Stefan