Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:03:41 -0400

In the GNU Project, we do not "obey" standards.  Rather, we take them
into account when judging what is best for the program to do.

Emacs could conceivably report an error after decoding a file as UTF-8
which turns out to have invalid text.  That way, the user will have
the chance to decide whether to accept the decoding or not.  If the user
accepts it, the buffer should represent everything that is in the file.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation