Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117559: Fix bug #18636 with documentation of

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117559: Fix bug #18636 with documentation of multi-monitor displays.
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 15:52:31 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> +Position of the top-left corner and size of the work area in pixels as
> address@hidden(@var{x} @var{y} @var{width} @var{height})}.  This is different
> +from @samp{geometry} in that the various system windows, such as the
> +task bar and side bar, are excluded from the work area.

There were very few previous mentions of "task bar" in Emacs, but all
were written as "taskbar" rather than "task bar". I also think the
details here are likely to be OS-specific. I think "taskbar" is mainly a
MS-Windows term? I never hear it it connection with X, AFAIK; but this
could well be just my ignorance. Eg on X with XFCE, the equivalent would
be "panels", I guess, and these have zero affect: geometry == workarea.

"side bar" was never mentioned before now.

I would suggest maybe rewording this to be less definitive, and
basically just say that the precise details are likely to be
OS-specific.