Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 12:21:28 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:34:38 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > >  > That's not true: we try using UTF-8 wherever possible.  The few files
>  > >  > that don't use that simply cannot.
>  > >
>  > > That doesn't seem to be true.  In fact many of the encodings
>  > > discovered by "grep -r -e '-\\*- coding:" are ISO 2022 conformant, and
>  > > a few indeed appear to be EUC encodings under an alias (eg,
>  > > chinese-iso-8bit-unix).  AFAICS, the only encodings listed that can't
>  > > be encoded in UTF-8 are the Big 5 family -- and that's only if you
>  > > demand bug-compatibility.[1]
>  >
>  > First, you missed the file-local variables (the pattern you used with
>  > Grep will only find the cookies on the first line).
>
> So?  That's not a bug, since I only need to show existence of files
> that use coding systems that *could* be translated to UTF-8 but
> weren't.

My original statement was that we try using UTF-8 "whenever possible".
I didn't define "possible", but the discussion to which I pointed has
the necessary details for that.

I also said that the non-UTF-8 files are a minority; for that,
counting the UTF-8 encoded files without missing any, no matter how
their encoding is determined, is important.

>  > Btw, to find out how many of our files are in UTF-8 and how many
>  > aren't, I would suggest to use tools that can explicitly tell the
>  > encoding, rather than rely on Grep and on whatever you remember are
>  > the ways of specifying a file's encoding.
>
> Sure, but it's ironic that *you* are saying that to *me*, when you're
> on the side saying that if you get the wrong encoding somehow you want
> rawbytes.  Shouldn't you use tools that can explicitly tell you the
> encoding? ;-)

Irrelevant.  The issue to which you responded was whether the majority
of files in the Emacs repository use a certain encoding, which would
thus constitute a kind of "de-facto locale" for Emacs files.