Using font-lock-mode for Info-mode's fontification (was: [Emacs-diffs] t

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Using font-lock-mode for Info-mode's fontification (was: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r118082: Allow Info-fontify-maximum-menu-size to specify unlimited)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:52:12 -0400

>> We should perform this highlighting via font-lock, so we can get rid of
>> Info-fontify-maximum-menu-size.
> Any decade now, I'm sure. :(
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-06/msg00668.html

Looking at it, I see we can't usefully do that without changing the
user-visible behavior.  Currently if the user turned off font-lock-mode,
Info buffers still come with mouse-face highlighting (and help-echo) on
things like xrefs and menu entries.  And the "(line N)" indication at
the end of index lines are also hidden and the menus are still
"prettified", and ...

Maybe it would be OK to change the case where font-lock-mode is OFF such
that all those thingies are also turned off.

        Stefan