Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:39:35 -0400

> Again, this in particular is only really a problem for built-in packages
> since there's no way to make Emacs completely forget about the built-in
> package when you happen to install a newer version of it via ELPA later
> on.  When an autoloaded function is moved into a different file in the
> new version, the new autoload definition is ignored (because there
> already is one) and if you try to invoke the function the wrong file
> gets loaded so it doesn't work (the original autoload definition is
> always read during Emacs' startup).

That doesn't sound right:

    ELISP> (autoload 'sm-foo "toto")
    (autoload "toto" nil nil nil)

    ELISP> (autoload 'sm-foo "titi")
    (autoload "titi" nil nil nil)

    ELISP> (symbol-function 'sm-foo)
    (autoload "titi" nil nil nil)

    ELISP>

Clearly, the second autoload overrides the first.

I think that the problem only shows up if your autoloaded functions has
already been loaded, in which case `autoload' doesn't do anything.

        Stefan