Re: Including some functions from dash.el in Emacs?

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: Including some functions from dash.el in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:52:29 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Indeed, but I thought that having it builtin (ie no cl-lib
>> required) would make Elisp better. Maybe that's just me but I always see
>> cl-lib as a compatibility layer for CL, not something that I should
>> almost always load in order to have decent manipulation list functions.
>
> The problem is only in your mind.  Adding "(require 'cl-lib)" to the
> beginning of your file costs only 18bytes.  I think you can afford it.

Adding (require 'cl-lib) doesn't cost much, you are right, but IMHO it
has nothing to do with the cost.

I asked about dash functions because I personally think that Elisp would
be much better with such list manipulation functions builtin.

I think that using cl-lib only to filter a list shows that something is
missing from the language. To me it is also weird to use prefixed
functions for basic features like "cl-remove-if" and "cl-reduce".

Please understand that I'm only willing to understand the reason behind
this and why adding some of this functions wouldn't modernize and
improve Elisp.

Cheers,
Nico
--