Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:36:21 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > Especially since Git doesn't support shared repositories very well,

You mean "it requires a bit more setup than you like".
GIT_ALTERNATE_OBJECT_DIRECTORIES, anyone?

 > And if I don't place the repositories for the various projects
 > where I care about revids at the same place on every host, then
 > sharing that config-setup work between those various hosts doesn't
 > work as well.

So put them in the same place: submodules are great for that.

 > Kind of.  The thing is, in 99% of the cases, the main thing I want to
 > know from a "revision identifier" is the rough age of that revision
 > (this is useful info because if it's very recent, then I can probably
 > guess exactly which commit this is referring to).  For that "date" is
 > the best description there is.

Heh.  I *wish* I had so many new bugs I could ignore the old ones!
The new ones are typically a *lot* easier.

There are things that git doesn't do very well, but rarely are they
the things that bzr users complain about.