Re: Colour selection in shr

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Colour selection in shr
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 08:30:12 -0500

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One thing I've found significantly increases readability for me is far
>> simpler: I disable color in `eww-tag-body'. Rendering color, especially
>> background color, doesn't necessarily make sense when you use a purely
>> textual display.
>>
>> I always work with a dark background, so when Eww renders a full white
>> background and, say, light blue text the page becomes unreadable.
>
> If shr selects colours that are difficult to read, that's a bug.  It's
> supposed to ensure sufficient colour distance to make things legible.
> Do you have an example URL?

For instance, see:
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics3/appassionata.html

This renders for me with a bright white background and blue text. But
note that for me, anything which changes the background color of my
window breaks the way I use GNU/Emacs.

Let me motivate my above patch request/suggestion:

"Difficult" in this case is subjective and dependent on the way my eyes
work, or in my case
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism_%28eye%29#Based_on_axis_of_the_principal_meridians),
the particular way my eyes don't work. I'm sure that a healthy person
can see the text, but for me the bright white background makes the text
effectively invisible (the background white "bleeds" into the letters).

In conclusion: I can't expect shr to select colors that work with my
eyes, and I don't know to say that there is any problem with how shr
selects colors. But I would like eww to allow me to say "I've set up
Emacs to work with my eyes, please don't touch the background and
foreground colors I've set up."