Re: Turning off colorization

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:59:21 -0500

GZ> For the record this is also true without screen.  Try eww on
GZ> http://lwn.net/Articles in emacs on black rxvt-unicode: White
GZ> background, bright blue (or something) letters.  Quite
GZ> unreadable.

In screen, using emacs24-nox from deb sid, and with TERM=screen-256color
I get the background changed to gray and cyan links.  In screen with
TERM=rxvt I get that same gray background but blue links.  OTOH, with
screen and TERM=rxvt-unicode I get my proper white background and blue
links.  Using TERM=rxvt-unicode-256color (the terminal's default TERM)
in screen gives the white background but light cyan links.  (In that
last case the *scratch* buffer's comments are light green on white, vs
red on white for TERM=rxvt-unicode.)  That is all on a box w/ a very
minimal ~/.emacs.

W/ or w/o screen, w/ TERM=rxvt-unicode-256color or screen-256color, on
my (Gentoo) workstation with emacs master, eww is OK.

When the background is gray, the <title> line is black on white; when
the background is white the <title> line is black on green or black on
mint green.

But even when eww on a web site, w/in gnus I still get crappy backgrounds
for most html email.  And it often takes forever for shr to render.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6