Re: package and testing rant (was Re: package.el, auto-installation, and

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: package and testing rant (was Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 17:13:57 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> - autoloads missing (only really fixed by package-install-ing)
>> - expected depend missing (can be fixed by requiring the source in fresh
>>   emacs)
>
> Neither of this is affected by the "(build)" step of GNU ELPA, AFAICT.

That's right. But because the build isn't exposed people don't test
their packages and this bit is never tested.

As Philip said, when he's building software he'll just edit and eval in
his emacs. In the normal way (me too btw).

But this isn't smalltalk. When you're done you can't just drop what you
did into elpa.git and expect it to work. You have to test the
package-installed version in a new emacs session with no config because
that's the only time you have byte compilation, autoload generation and
fresh dependency analysis.

Nic