Re: This Is The Git Help Mailing List

From: Karl Fogel
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:20:43 -0600

>So, I had some locally checked-in changes that I wanted to push.  So I
>said "git push".
>
>address@hidden ~/src/emacs]$ git push
>Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
>X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>To address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs.git
> ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
>error: failed to push some refs to 'address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs.git'
>hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
>hint: its remote counterpart. Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull')
>hint: before pushing again.
>hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.
>
>Ok, so I tried what I always do in the Gnus repo when this happens,
>which usually fixes everything.
>
>address@hidden ~/src/emacs]$ git pull --rebase
>Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
>Please commit or stash them.
>
>Err...
>
>Ok, how about just "git pull" like it says?
>
>address@hidden ~/src/emacs]$ git pull
>Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
>X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
>remote: Counting objects: 29, done.
>remote: Compressing objects: 100% (13/13), done.
>remote: Total 13 (delta 10), reused 0 (delta 0)
>Unpacking objects: 100% (13/13), done.
>>From git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
>   38fa4bc..d856e6b  master     -> origin/master
>   e18c2a5..3d08bc4  emacs-24   -> origin/emacs-24
>error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
>        lisp/ChangeLog
>Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
>Aborting
>
>Errr...
>
>What is the magic sequence of magic git commands that I should use now?

What does 'git status' say?  You're positive you have no
uncommitted/unstaged local changes?  It looks from the above like
lisp/ChangeLog has local mods... (cue our usual ISO-standard discussion
of about why we version change data in files instead of solely in commit
logs, of course, but that is another matter).

Best,
-K