Re: Good book on Git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Good book on Git
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:17:33 -0500

  > It isn't "free" (it is the non non-commercial variant, and to be
  > free-as-in-freedom it would need to allow copying for commercial use)

This shows why the term "Creative-Commons licensed" should be avoided:
because it draws attention away from the most important licensing
question (is it free or not) and focuses it on a side issue (who
published the license).

Focusing attention on freedom is vital no matter what your immediate
purpose.  So please don't ever say "Creative-Commons licensed".
Instead, please state the specific license.  CC-SA-NC is clear and
brief.

  > BTW, it is more of a textbook than a manual.

Please don't think that "manual" means "terse reference that is not
useful as an introduction".  That is just one kind of manual.  Every
free program should have a good introductory manual, too.
If the best git introduction is nonfree, that is very unfortunate.

Who wrote it?  Is there any chance of persuading per to free it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation