Re: git apologia [was: git pull fails with merge conflicts. ...]

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: git apologia [was: git pull fails with merge conflicts. ...]
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 03:16:27 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > I understand that.  My point is that, while I do want to reason in
 > these terms about Emacs, which I help developing, I prefer not to have
 > to reason about Git in any similar way or to a similar depth.  I just
 > need to get the job done quickly, efficiently, and without errors.

You don't have that choice of "just" if you use CLI git.

 > > you have my sympathy, but I think the majority of Emacs developers are
 > > going to be very pleased by the efficiency and power of git, and even
 > > you may find after a few months that vc and/or magit have improved to
 > > the point where you don't have to deal with git CLI at all any more.
 >
 > I wasn't arguing for dropping Git, okay?

I didn't say you were.  You did say that there are things you don't
like about it (which you would have kept to yourself if not asked
directly), and I'm just saying that maybe it will get better (and you
can get off the learning curve entirely at that point).

 > IOW, one more thing to re-learn, that won't serve me with any other
 > VCS.

As Eric said, "git has won."  Heck, even Tom Lord (remember Tom Lord?)
said that git got the basics right, and used the git object database
as the foundation for his new VCS, revc.