Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git pull fails with merge conflicts. How can this possibly happen?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:05:41 +0200

> From: Sergey Organov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:38:13 +0300
>
> > Second, too many things in Git are different, or are done differently,
> > or have different effect from their namesakes in other VCSes
> > (a.k.a. "have different semantics".  At times, I have a distinct
> > feeling that Someone(TM) made a conscious effort to confuse me by
> > picking up a different semantics.  Examples:
>
> | sed -e 's/Git/Emacs/g' | sed -e 's/VCS/Editor/g'
>
> and the result still holds. It's just that Git and Emacs have better
> ways of doing things than anything else out there ;-)

I use Emacs for more than 20 years.  If I used Git for so long, it's
highly probable that the above would have never been written.

Moreover, the first programmer's editor I ever used, before I switched
to Emacs, was an Emacs clone, so I never needed to unlearn anything
even when I started using Emacs.

As for nomenclature, Emacs is different because it did a
ground-breaking job: there was no "prior art" to follow at the time.
Git, OTOH, could have used the widely adopted terminology and
semantics, but instead deliberately chose not to.  Doing things better
doesn't need a drastic change in terminology.

And I don't want to even start comparing the quality of the Emacs
documentation with that of Git.

So no, the result doesn't hold, not for me anyway.