Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:37:52 +0200

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:31:41 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I think just "git pull -e ../emacs-24" and edit the commit message is
> >> clearer, instead of pull and merging.
> >
> > I don't think we need the "../" part, do we?  It's the same
> > repository, and emacs-24 is the name of a branch, not a directory.
>
> You don't pull from a branch, you pull from a repository.  That's the
> operation that copies objects from one repository to another.

Ah, okay, thanks.

However, I was asking about merging from the release branch in the
same repository, just without checking out the release branch in that
repository, ever.  In that case, I think this will do (assuming
'master' is checked out):

  git pull
  git merge emacs-24
  # fix conflicts, if any
  # run tests, fix bugs
  git commit -a
  git push

Am I missing something in this sequence?