Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:49:03 +0200

> From: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:29:38 +0100
>
> Again, the easiest way to clone the repo twice is to do exactly that and
> have the second clone use the first as a reference repository.  A more
> symmetric setup is to do the first clone into a bare repository and then
> clone both working repos with reference to the first one:
>
> git clone --bare git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
> git clone --reference emacs.git --branch master   master
> git clone --reference emacs.git --branch emacs-24 emacs-24
>
> If you remember to always do a "git remote update" first for the bare
> repository before pulling in the work trees, you'll never copy any
> object from the official repo more than once.  This also scales nicely
> to even more repositories as long as you really keep a strict "one repo
> per branch" workflow.

Thanks, but how is this better than just 2 full clones of the upstream
repo on Savannah?  What you suggest is certainly more complicated,
albeit slightly so.  What do we gain except disk savings?  Scalability
is not really an issue, as it's hard for me to imagine that Emacs will
have more than 2 divergent branches any time soon.