Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:02:02 -0500

> For Gnus users, for instance, the buffer would be using SHR so there's
> some control over the experience and metadata about the content.  You're
> right that in general this is not clear, which is why interactive
> functions like `browse-url' and others may need to be advised.

What I meant is that in the SHR case, the text displayed is not the URL
but some random piece of text that should be highlighted as a button
(although in some cases it is the same text as the URL itself, SHR has
no idea whether that's the case or not).

We can do something in the Gnus case rendering non-HTML contents, where
the URL is highlighted as a button, because at that point we do display
something which we know is supposed to be interpreted by the user as a URL.

        Stefan