Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 08:45:58 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul said:
>> The 10 MB limit is too small nowadays for typical machines.
>
> Could be.  I rarely bump into it, personally.  But I wouldn't mind
> increasing it a bit, tho probably not by a factor of ten.
>
>> I regularly run into it and it's a genuine (albeit minor) annoyance.
>
> What value would stop you from bumping into it, and on which kinds of
> files do you typically bump into it.

When *viewing* machine generated code files.

In my use case it's a finite element program called ANSYS which is
creating text files describing a complete FE model in a particular
"programming language APDL".  There is a special Emacs mode for editing
user generated APDL files:

http://www.emacswiki.org/AnsysMode

Nowadays these model files are always bigger than 10 MB, typically in
the order of 50 MB to 100 MB, because they have to include the node and
element descriptions.

        Dieter
--
Best wishes