Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:47:51 -0800

On 12/05/2014 01:51 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
So if we don't have better alternatives, why not stick with what we
>have?
Because it's ugly, heavyweight, and a barrier to entry.

Although I know Texinfo well and asciidoc poorly and so am naturally biased in favor of Texinfo, I can certainly attest to Texinfo being heavyweight and having significant problems. My 3-year-old desktop at work currently takes over a minute to create info/elisp.info from Emacs's Texinfo sources, and this is so annoyingly slow that it discourages me from checking my work when I edit the Elisp manual.

I know some Emacs developers purposely run older versions of Texinfo (which are faster) because of this performance problem, and this means we can't assume reasonably modern Texinfo features, e.g., good support for Unicode characters.

Even though Texinfo made a lot of sense for many years and we should not switch lightly, it may now be time to think of switching. It'd be a win if we could use a format with a decently-fast support.