Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:30:25 -0800

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Anyway, no matter what the reason for not upgrading, in the meantime we're
>stuck with old-technology Texinfo, and this is partly why it might be a good
>idea to think about changing.
FWIW, while I don't hold Texinfo very dearly in my heart, I have some
real problems with labeling it as nothing else than "old-technology".

By "old-technology Texinfo" I merely meant Texinfo 4 and earlier; I didn't mean to imply that Texinfo is inherently old-technology.

Texinfo 5 uses newer technology and supports Unicode characters etc., but is wwwwaaaaayyyyyyy toooo ssllloooooowwww, so slow that it routinely hinders me (and no doubt others) from improving the Emacs documentation. Although I and others have reported the performance bug to the Texinfo maintainers, they've made it clear that the problem is not likely to be fixed any time soon. So, right now we're stuck between the rock of Texinfo 4 and the hard place of Texinfo 5, and this is an argument for switching to some other format.