Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 11:30:33 -0800

On 12/07/2014 06:30 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think I understand why they don't want to fix the processing speed.
But we should still push them to provide workarounds.  "Separate
compilation" would solve this problem

It might, yes. But that sounds like more work than switching input formats would be, if some other input format already has good support for most of what we want.

Indeed the slowdown (factor 100 IIRC last time I measured it) is
a serious problem.

Absolutely. Texinfo's performance is a real turnoff for me, and it can't be encouraging potential contributors.

One possible way to move forward would be to try one or two alternatives (Org mode, Asciidoc, whatever) on something relatively small. It wouldn't have to be an Emacs manual. We could use the proposed new technology or technologies on (say) the Grep manual, and see how well it works there. This would mimic how we already did the Gnulib and Git conversions: we first converted smaller projects, and eventually got around to Emacs.