Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:27:58 +0100

GNU has a culture of high-quality documentation.  Texinfo is a tool for
that, providing features like indexes, cross-manual references,
documentation-oriented markup, and several output media.  AFAIK, neither
AsciiDoc nor “heavier” options like DocBook support all of that.

Info browsers make it easy to browse manuals, search for index terms,
follow links, including to other manuals.  A Web browser cannot achieve
that because a Web browser is not designed for that.

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have discussed this with RMS and, pending my ability to actually write
> proper translation tools, we have agreed on asciidoc as a new master
> format.

That’s a discussion that would need to involve all of GNU, not just
Emacs circles.  I don’t see how that change could happen.

IMO we should think about what makes sense to achieve the project’s
goals, and set the standards rather than wander around to please the
hypothetical “younger developers.”

Ludo’.