Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:52:16 +0100

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I would agree with this. I am, of course, glad that Emacs doc has an
> index, but in general, indexes are disappearing from documentation,
> because it's just as easy to search and less effort for the authors.

Just as easy to search?  No.  Less effort for the authors?  Yes.  Search
becomes fabulously useless where command names are built from common
words or get frequently referenced elsewhere.  Finding the actual
definition without the help of a manually prepared or polished index is
unrealistic.

--
David Kastrup