Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 04:07:57 -0500

  > At the time you were enthusiastic about my webapp.

A few years ago I became aware of how "web apps", by running software
straight off someone else's web page, deny the user control over his
computing.  To make Javascript acceptable we need to give users a way
to develop and run modified versions of it.

Thus, the truly ethical way to put Javascript code into service is NOT
to send it from a server at all; rather, to package it for installation
locally just like C programs.

  > PS I am also working on an emacs-lisp -> javascript compiler so we could
  > write the javascript part of a webapp in emacs-lisp.

Which language the code is written in is an independent issue.
Javascript and Emacs Lisp are both ok source languages, but each
user must control what version of the source he actually uses.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation