Re: [mentoring-done] a darkroom/writeroom mode for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [mentoring-done] a darkroom/writeroom mode for Emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 13:20:35 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (João Távora) writes:
>
>>> As you prefer.  Updates in ELPA are cheap.  Just change the version number
>>> and push.
>>
>> As far as I understand it, this is the strategy to develop the upstream
>> on Github and publish to ELPA.git periodically.
>
> Not necessarily: the new version of the package is published when the
> version header value is increased. So you can also push development
> changes to GNU ELPA, then after some time increase the version number,
> and only then the new version will be published.

Thanks for the clarification. When I wrote "publish to ELPA.git" I meant
"synch to ELPA.git". I have little experience with GNU ELPA and
package.el, so please confirm this: Publishing is what makes the package
accessible to users as they "M-x package-install" that's strictly
related to increases in version numbers.

>> I will "git merge
>> --no-commit" my github repo into ELPA.git. Then issue whatever necessary
>> "git mv" I have to to place "darkroom.el" and any other files in the
>> correct place. Then commit with a suitable commit message. The following
>> updates also use "git merge --no commit".
>
> Personally, I use `git subtree merge'. IIRC, Stefan usually does `git merge
> --strategy=subtree` instead.

Can you explain if this fundamentally different from my strategy, or is
it just a convenience that would save me some "git mv" and conflict
resolution before adding the merge commit to the graph? I ask because
"--strategy=subtree" seems to hint at this last hypothesis.

Thanks,
João