Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:52:54 +0100

> and at this point I have no idea what the branches look like, since
> I've never used "--rebase=preserve".

I still haven't used it, but I have googled a bit, and I found this:
 http://stackoverflow.com/a/15915431

Example 3 looks a lot like what I outlined, ie. you would get something
like this:

>  -a---b-c-d-i-j-h- master
>      \      \  /
>       e-f----\/
>               \g---- eli-feature-1

> where "i" and "j" are the commits that blocked your push, and "h" is a
> rebased version of "g"?

And if so, there will never be a problem with "b", "c", and "d", because
they are recorded in "h" (which is the rebased "g").

But there _will_ be a problem if you continue with eli-feature-1 with
"g" in the graph.

Ie. you will need to pop off a non-rebased merge commit and replace it
with the rebased one on one of the the two branches with you proceed
(the merge commit can be rebased on either branch, but it's probably
less work to do the rebase together with the pull on master, and then
fix it later in the feature branch).

Unless someone has written an extension to let you rebase two branches
simultanously...? It wouldn't surprise me, but a quick googling didn't
turn up anything.