Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 02:52:04 +0100

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is unclear what you object to. Is it:
>> 1) Using a service like Google etc to find documentation.
>> 2) Using internet as a communication channel to a (search) server set
>> up and controlled by FSF to find documentation?
>
> Controlled by the FSF is of no help.  Controlled by a user-setup server
> would be acceptable from a Freedom point of view, but to me the main
> issue is that it should work when disconnected.

If that is the main issue then you can have a local copy of a search
server on your computer. Just half a GB. ;-)

Some years ago that would have been ridiculous. Today it is not a big
problem for many any user with a good internet connection.

Though you can probably use Apache Lucy to get a much smaller footprint.