Saving default font? (was: HTML-Info design)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Saving default font? (was: HTML-Info design)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 22:32:43 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I don't see why this would be difficult.
>>
>>> `M-x eww RET
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/index.html
>>> RET'
>>
>>> and you're off.  The `n'/`p'/`u' commands work as in Info already,
>>> so
>>> the only thing that's missing is the index (which is trivial to
>>> add).
>>
>> AFAIK, the main reason why Info-mode is not sexy is its plain
>> visual appearance.  The above page in `eww' looks like Emacs-20's
>> Info-mode.
>>
>> E.g. we need titles to be bigger and the main text to use
>
> That's not an advantage.  It is breaking even.

Ok, I am _totally_ pissed right now.  For making the screen shot for the
above posting, I used the "Options / Change Default Font" menu.  Then I
exited and restarted Emacs in order to get my carefully customized
settings back.

Except that somebody thought it a smart idea to just overwrite my
default settings without asking.  What do we have the "Options/Save"
menu for in the first place if Options will be permasaved nilly-willy?
Whoever thought that a good idea or interface?

Now I have to crank out my backups to get my settings back and hope that
they are stored in .emacs and not somewhere else.

How is one supposed to make temporary changes to the font?  How is one
supposed to get the original settings back when one does not relish the
change?

What kind of goofy decision is it to make all in-session changes
permanent and undoable?

--
David Kastrup