Re: HTML-Info design

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:45:55 +0000

 >> Now, what’s the easy way to put the second sentence of the right
 >> column into the kill ring?

 > That is, indeed, a problem.  I usually kill the rectangle, paste it
 > into a different buffer, and extract the sentence there.  Which kinda
 > sucks.

 > However, it would be easy enough to fix this for ‘M-w’ and friends
 > with some text properties that say where the continuation of a line
 > is.

        Either that or we could use a text property that’d point back to
        the “relevant” DOM element (as in: subtree.)

        Given that SHR only does columns inside <table />, – using the
        closest <td /> or <th /> ancestor for the purpose would solve
        the issue.

 > The greater problem would be the user interface -- sometimes somebody
 > wants to yank what's displayed, and sometimes the "logical flow".

        With a property, we could just provide a command to display the
        relevant element in a separate buffer.

        However, given that using tables for layout tends to create
        accessibility issues out of nothing (did I hear someone saying
        Emacspeak in this discussion?), why exactly can’t we provide the
        user a way to get rid of all the “layout” tables at once?

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A