shr: tables

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: shr: tables
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:17:56 +0000

 >> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:20:26 +0000

 >> This is the sidebar, which          This is the page content proper.
 >> is placed to the left of the        Emacs may apply its usual
 >> “payload” content in the            facilities to flow it as
 >> browsers implementing (a            necessary, without any trouble
 >> larger subset of) CSS.              whatsoever.  For one thing, many
 >> Unless being tweaked by the         MediaWiki instances use exactly
 >> user to his or her own              this layout.
 >> taste, that is.

 >> Now, what’s the easy way to put the second sentence of the right
 >> column into the kill ring?

 > Would you like to code such a command?

        I have a somewhat different view on this issue.  I believe that
        there should be a command to render the above as two paragraphs
        instead, one under the other:

This is the page content proper.  Emacs may apply its usual facilities
to flow it as necessary, without any trouble whatsoever.  For one thing,
many MediaWiki instances use exactly this layout.

This is the sidebar, which is placed to the left of the “payload”
content in the browsers implementing (a larger subset of) CSS.  Unless
being tweaked by the user to his or her own taste, that is.

        After such a command is applied, – the issue above simply does
        not arise, and there’s no need for a separate command to put
        whatever portion of either of these paragraphs into a kill ring.

        The details for such a command are yet to be worked out; I have
        no solid idea on which cases it should handle and how.  (Should
        it, for instance, affect all tables, some tables, just the table
        at point, or tables matching some entirely different criteria.)

        (And just in case, – there /is/ a way to do just that with the
        “big” browsers, – even though by no means necessary,
        clipboard-wise.  Well, with Iceweasel at the least.)

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A