Re: HTML-Info design

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:24:06 -0500

  > These is already a node structure in HTML generated by makeinfo
  > Menus are represented by class="menu", and indices by class="index".

We should not feel any obligation to stick with that old form of Info.
The goal is to provide the most Info-like possible behavior
in a browser.  This may require a different representation.

Part of what Nic is working on is to determine what representation is best.
He can use the same format or a different one.

  > It would be great to include JavaScript in the output generated by makeinfo.

I've decided against this.

  > > 3. An extension for Firefox to implement Info-style commands
  > > using that data.

  > A Firefox extension requires the users to install it,
  > so this won't be a convenient option to use HTML-Info manuals.

I've made this decision on ethical grounds.  The ethical issue
overrides that practical one (which is a small one, after all).

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation