Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:50:42 -0500

  > I understand that. What I'm saying is: For almost five years now (since
  > gcc 4.5 introduced plugins), access to GCC's AST is wide open for
  > everyone. However, in all that time (and to my knowledge) no one has
  > used that to feed non-free backends, and that is in my opinion enough
  > evidence that your worries are unfounded. They might have been valid in
  > the past, but not since LLVM and clang have joined the scene.

Since LLVM and Clang are not copylefted, they invite nonfree extensions.
They are a gaping hole in the defensive wall around our city.

  > > To figure out just what Emacs needs, that's the task I am talking
  > > about.

  > If you want to support things like completions, refactoring, symbol
  > searches, etc., we need full access to the AST from inside Emacs.

With all due respect, it is so important to avoid the full AST
that I'm not going to give up on it just because someone claims
that is necessary.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation