Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:28:16 -0600

David Kastrup wrote:
Jacob Bachmeyer <address@hidden> writes:
Emacs is GPL, so it can call into GCC through Guile with no problem.
A proprietary tool doing the same gets dropped right into a copyright
quagmire.

Not if it does just the same as Emacs since that means it uses a
generically useful interface.

It has been a while since I last read through the FSF GPL FAQs on this, so maybe copyright has been weakened, but I thought that dynamic linking does not avoid the GPL. Guile bindings for operations on GCC's GENERIC tree would be broadly useful, but I thought that they would also be indisputably derived from GCC, and any program written to use them would likewise be seen as deriving from GCC? Has this reach of copyright been reduced? Or have I always been mistaken?

Which leads to another idea that I think may have been mentioned: Does
Emacs have the ability to load C plugins from shared objects?

No, and the reason is again not technical but political: it would make
Emacs generally useful as a component in compound applications not
reached by the GPL.

Could Emacs require plugins to state compliance with the GPL in order to be loaded, like GCC requires?