Re: On tabs and spaces

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On tabs and spaces
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 10:57:53 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/15/2015 02:15 AM, Artur Malabarba wrote:
>> Given that `.dir-locals.el' sets `indent-tabs-mode' to nil,
>
> Which one?
>
>> does that
>> mean we prefer spaces for indentation everywhere?
>> And, if so, would it be acceptable to push a commit that simply converts
>> a file from tabs to spaces?
>
> Nope. As per previous discussions, you're only really allowed to
> fix/change indentation in the places you make other, meaningful
> changes to.
>
> Mostly so that 'git blame' returns meaningful results (it has a -w
> option, but that makes it even slower).

git blame does not spend that much of its time diffing.  Even if the
difference between plain and -w has become larger with Git 2.1+ (simply
because it wastes vastly less time with other endeavors), the bulk of
the run time is likely spent in unpacking files from the repository
rather than comparing them.

If you use a Git version older than 2.1, upgrading might make sense just
because of git blame performance.  The difference is quite noticeable.

--
David Kastrup