Re: On tabs and spaces

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On tabs and spaces
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:42:01 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/15/2015 01:26 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Once you factor the time of C-x v g into the equation, the 5.5s of
>> difference are not all that impressive.  On my computer, previous to
>> version 2.1 we were talking about about 5 _minutes_ of runtime.
>
> Still inconvenient, though. And maybe we also care about the
> developers with older versions of Git, for now.

The developers with older versions of Git are much less likely to even
notice the difference since the older versions spend the bulk of the
runtime elsewhere.  So the 5.5s of difference are likely still about
5.5s of difference for the old versions.

> The improvement is impressive, to be sure.
>
>> Emacs
>> doesn't use -w by default when doing C-x v g either IIRC.  Getting it in
>> there is somewhat cumbersome.
>
> Using it by default would be a trivial change.

But not likely appropriate for some applications, and not likely matched
by the behavior of other version control systems in VC.  Still, it's a
bit too far out of reach from inside Emacs.

> And with http://debbugs.gnu.org/17945, vc-annotate will be more
> customizable.

Not yet looked at it.

--