Re: The :protection option for EIEIO slots

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: The :protection option for EIEIO slots
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:56:20 -0500

On 01/15/2015 10:00 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Hi Eric,

Can you give me some background on the :protection option for the slots
of EIEIO objects?  This doesn't exist in CLOS, so I'm wondering what
were the motivations to add them.

As far as I remember, I was learning C++ at the time and using Emacs to teach myself OO concepts and thought it would be useful. I didn't hesitate much about extending CLOS.

I'm surprised the protected slot doesn't work. There is a test for that throwing an error.

So I'm tempted to just drop this functionality.  Any thoughts?

No flags. I've written a lot of classes and apparently didn't use it very much, so feel free.

Eric