Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:34:58 +0200

> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:39:12 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> As a general rule any change that I make omits changes to MS-Windows
> code.

Sorry, that's not good enough.  I'm sure when you do such changes, you
grep (or otherwise search) the whole tree for relevant places, so you
always know whether MS-Windows code is potentially involved.  All I'm
asking is that you provide that information when it is relevant.

> I don't understand MS-Windows well enough to change its code
> reliably, and I have no easy way to test any changes that I would
> make.

A change of strcpy/strcat to use stpcpy doesn't require any
understanding of Windows specific code.  A change in Makefile.in to
use AM_V_* stuff doesn't require any Windows knowledge, either.  I
could give more examples, but I think these two are clear enough.

Like I said: I'm okay with your refraining from making the changes,
what I'm asking is to say that you spotted those places, with specific
file names pointed out, but didn't make any changes there.  Like I do
when a display-related change needs changes in xterm.c or xfns.c or
nsfns.m which I cannot test and sometimes cannot even compile.