Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:41:21 -0500

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:35:26 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
> The GCC developers told me Dragon Egg is not practical for real use.

It is no longer practical for real use because of bitrot. It was the
preferred C++ front end for LLVM before Clang matured and was quite
usable at that time.

> But it is indeed an example of the danger that concerns me.

Your concern about people mixing and matching parts of software is
not crazy. As many of us have acknowledged in the course of these
discussions, that can indeed happen. The question is whether it is
worth making lots of important things impossible to do in the FSF's
free software ecosystem in order to prevent bad things from
happening here and there. (There are also those like me who argue
that, because of LLVM, it is already more or less no longer possible
to prevent the bad things from happening anyway.)

> To read all the mail that people sent about this, and think about
> it, I need a block of time.

That is understandable. I think the only concern is that it would be
better that this not be put off indefinitely.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden