Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:06:43 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/19/2015 05:47 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>> CVS does not work on the root level.
>> Even in SVN, it's ok and desirable to just look at a subdirectory.
>
> Isn't that an implementation detail, as far as the current discussion
> is concerned? Git can also show only the status of files in a
> subdirectory, if you ask it.
>
>> vc-dir has used the current directory since the beginning, I haven't
>> seen any request to change it until now, it doesn't seem like changing
>> the default behavior after so many years when there were no requests to
>> do it is a good idea just because someone sent a patch to change it.
>
> You've missed http://debbugs.gnu.org/12492, then. This patch also
> constitutes one request, obviously.
>
> And you shouldn't forget that VC is not the most popular VCS package
> among advanced Emacs users, Magit is. We're playing catch-up.
>
>> vc-hg displays the "Root" in the vc-dir header.  The intention with that
>> was to make it a button that would display vc-dir on the top level
>> directory.
>> All backends (especially vc-git) should implement that Root header and
>> implement a button for it...
>
> That's an awkward proposal. To have to open vc-dir, then move my hand
> to the mouse, or point to the button, then push it...

Buttons can be pressed with the keyboard.  That was just another way to
get to the root...

> Root is a good default, so vc-dir buffer for it should be easier to
> create than for a subdirectory.

It looks like root is a personal preference, there's still not much in
terms of solid arguments of why to change a long time default, and the
patch doesn't even give a way to get the current behavior, which most
people like.

You can make C-u C-x v d start vc-dir in the root directory.  Or you can
put the root directory in the history so that when C-x v d prompts for a
directory it's just a M-p away.  Or highlight the root in the path shown
by C-x v d.   These can be accomplished without removing the current
behavior.