Re: Membership request for group emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Membership request for group emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:56:49 -0500

> Hi, I'd like to contribute https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra to GNU ELPA.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.  I'd be happy to include Hydra in GNU ELPA.

Inclusion in GNU ELPA has 2 aspects:
- legal: we follow the same copyright policy as for Emacs, so as to make it
  easy to move code between two.  So we'd need all non-trivial contributors to
  sign some paperwork.  In the case of Hydra you seem to be the only
  contributor so far and you've already signed the paperwork, so you're
  all clear.
- technical: the GNU ELPA archive is built from the `elpa.git' repository
  which hosts all the source code of all the packages, and where we may
  occasionally install patches.  We generally encourage maintainers to use
  this repository as the main development repository, so as to avoid the need
  to keep 2 repositories in sync.  If the maintainer elects to keep the main
  development elsewhere, he's expected to keep the elpa.git version uptodate.

Furthermore, there are 2 ways to install your code in elpa.git:
- as a subdirectory "packages/hydra" in the "master" branch.
- as a separate "externals/hydra" branch.
For small packages, I recommend the subdirectory option.
Check the elpa/README file for futher info.

If you have any doubt about how to perform the initial install, I can
take care of it for you.

        Stefan