Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:38:30 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:07:02 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> For instance, the maintainer of what currently seems to be the best hope
> for a Java editing environment (malabar-mode) uses Windows.
>
> Yours truly has spent quite a bit of time on Windows as well. Had Emacs
> port not been available then, I'd probably have ended up not using it at
> all in the end.

My main development machine runs MS-Windows.  So if I'm to continue my
participation in Emacs development, the Windows build must be in good
shape.

On top of that, for better or worse, people who use Emacs on Windows
happen to look up to me for fixing whatever problems happen there.
Therefore, gratuitous additional difficulties in keeping the Windows
build in good shape, such as those caused by Paul's selective changes,
simply prevent me from doing more work in platform-independent parts
of the code, like working on bugs and features not specific to
MS-Windows.  It's a net loss to everyone, including Paul.

> > to help polish up the MS-Windows code?
>
> It seems to me that the goal is to help keep it up-to-date.

We want to keep all the ports for modern platforms up-to-date.

> (Sorry for butting in).

Nothing to be sorry for.