Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 10:35:14 +0900

David Engster writes:

 > > But only because he merged from master, which was wrong to begin with.
 >
 > It's a very easy mistake to make, and I'd rather say it is wrong that
 > Git defaults to fast-forward merges.

If you don't like this default, write a better VCS that takes over the
world, or volunteer to maintain a fork and get Emacs to adopt it.

But on second thought I don't understand how this happened.  ISTM it
should be easy to check accurately for preservation of mainline (the
current head in the remote parent should be a leftmost descendent of
the proposed new head).  I thought that check was already implemented
on Savannah?

If on wants to, that check can actually be done locally (of course you
need to first git fetch the upstream branch, and there is as usual a
race condition in the interval until you push).